Monday, October 17, 2011

Take a Moment

I was leaving work tonight, running late, trying to hurry home to get the dog to take him for his 4th chemo treatment.  The time was cutting it close, anyway, and the visit lasts a while because they have to take blood first, test it, then give the treatment.  There's really no time to poke around.

As I approached my car at the bottom of the parking lot, I spotted 3 or 4 deer grazing in the field below the lot.  Late or not, I couldn't help but stop and snap a few photos and about 15 seconds of video, just in case it took movement to tell what they were from that distance.  Nature is a surprise a minute.  It's hard to resist.

I arrived home with just a few minutes to set the pet ramp up behind the car, put my things down, get Solomon out of the house and into the back.

Solomon suddenly decided he really didn't want to go and rolled over on his side, so I took my drink and purse to the car first & came back inside the gate to try again.  Over my shoulder, I saw a lady come from a truck parked in front of mine.  Solomon started barking, so I walked outside the fence to talk to her.

She asked me about my flowers, trying to find something new to plant at her own house.  She told me she passes every day and always looks to see the flowers.  And that quick, she was on her way back to the truck.

I turned back to my gate and in the pause where I turned back, tempted to offer to help her plant (she said she lives around the corner), she was already pulling away.

I was glad I didn't brush her off in my hurry and I was glad she stopped at all.  For me, it was affirmation that my landscape is achieving my goal - to give people something pleasing to look at, even if it's just driving by.

We hit a little traffic on our way to the vet and called to let them know we'd be a few minutes late.
 A small price to pay for a shared moment.  I hope she's glad she stopped, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment